Looking for ways to enhance your health? It is a lot easier than you think! AND can be done any time.
Many of us make health-related resolutions, such as to lose weight, stop smoking or join the neighborhood health club. While it is common to set high goals, experts say that setting smaller goals could do more for our health.
Add one health-changing goal to your life every week or two, and in no time you’ll be healthier! 🙂
Simple and Easy Ways to Enhance Your Health
1. Stop gaining weight. Even if you gain just a pound or two every year, the extra weight adds up quickly.
2. Take more small steps. Use a pedometer to count your daily steps; then add 2,000, the equivalent of one extra mile. Keep adding steps, 1,000 to 2,000 each month or so, until you take 10,000 steps on most days.
3. Eat breakfast. Breakfast eaters tend to weigh less and have better diets overall. For a filling and nutrition-packed breakfast, top oatmeal with fresh fruit slices and low-fat or fat-free milk.
4. Switch three grain servings each day to whole grain. If you’re like the average American, you eat less than one whole grain serving a day.
5. Have at least one green salad every day. Eating a salad is filling and may help you eat less during the meal. It also counts toward your five daily cups of vegetables and fruits.
6. Trim the saturated fat. Purchase lean meats, eat poultry without the skin, switch to lower-fat cheeses, use a nonstick pan with only a dab of olive oil or butter.
7. Consider calcium by including two or three daily servings of low-fat or fat-free milk or yogurt. Calcium is good for bones and may also help you lose weight. If you are Vegan or lactose intolerant, include calcium-rich foods in your daily diet, such as kale and broccoli.
8. Downsize. The smaller the bag, bottle or bowl, the less you will eat. Use a salad plate instead of your large dinner plate.
9. Lose just 5 to 10 percent of your current weight. The health benefits are huge – lower blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides. Slow and stead weight loss is healthier and easier to sustain than sudden losses.
10. Keep track of your eating. Write down what you eat over the next couple of days and look for problem spots. Often, just writing your meals down can help you eat less.You might be surprised at how much you are actually eating!
Need More Ways to Enhance Your Health?
Do you have any other tips you’d like to share or healthy recipes you are looking for? Feel free to reach out to me through the contact form on the right or on my Contact page. I’d be happy to speak with you.
And don’t forget, if you aren’t sure of what you are doing in the kitchen but want to enhance your health through making delicious dishes, you can sign up for my FREE Cooking Basics how-to-tips! You’ll get an email every week for an entire year. That’s 52 helpful kitchen tips! Everything from how to make the perfect fried egg to different ways to prepare vegetables and how to freeze those fruits & veggies you find at the market 🙂
Enjoy and Be Healthy!