It’s easy to find antioxidant food sources! They are everywhere. And best of all you don’t need to follow a special diet to battle free radicals naturally.
In another blog, I talked about what antioxidants were and how they help our bodies fight free radicals. These are natural but toxic chemical reactions that occur in our bodies and damage our cells. Different antioxidants combat different free radicals. It’s helpful to know and use a wide range of antioxidant foods that help you live a healthy lifestyle.
Antioxidant Food Sources
Here are a few common food sources you can find at your local store or farmers market, along with some of their antioxidant properties…
- Apples – Vitamin C
- Avocados – Beta-Carotene & Lycopene
- Beans – Flavonoids & Vitamin B
- Blackberries – Vitamins A, C & Flavonoids
- Blueberries – Vitamins A, C & K
- Broccoli – Manganese & Beta-Carotene
- Cabbage – Vitamin C & Manganese
- Cantaloupe – Beta-Carotene
- Carrots – Beta-Carotene
- Cranberries – Vitamin C, Beta-Carotene & Manganese
- Garlic – Vitamin E & Coenzyme Q10
- Grapefruit – Vitamin C
- Grapes -Polyphenols & Resveratrol
- Leafy Greens – Vitamin C & E
- Lemons – Vitamin C
- Oranges – Vitamin C, Carotenoids & Flavonoids
- Peppers – Beta-Carotene
- Plums & Prunes – Vitamins A & C
- Raspberries – Vitamins A, C & Flavonoids
- Strawberries – Vitamins A, C & Flavonoids
- Tomatoes – Lycopene & Carotenoids
- Walnuts – Anti Inflammatory Phytonutrients & Manganese
And don’t forget about antioxidants that you can drink! Drink tea! All different kinds of tea have these good-for-you properties.
Cooking With Antioxidant Food Sources
Do you have any healthy recipes using antioxidant food sources you’d like to share or are looking for? Feel free to reach out to me through the contact form on the right or on my Contact page. I’d be happy to speak with you.
And don’t forget, if you aren’t sure of what you are doing in the kitchen but want to eat healthy, you can sign up for my FREE Cooking Basics how-to-tips! You’ll get an email every week for an entire year. That’s 52 helpful kitchen tips! Everything from how to make the perfect fried egg to different ways to prepare vegetables and how to freeze those fruits & veggies you find at the market 🙂
Enjoy and Be Healthy!