I need my Me Time. I have to take time each week to feed my soul. Not that my life has been anymore stressful than normal, but I do find that I need to set aside some time each week to regenerate. And that is what is going on in Mary’s Kitchen today – taking time to take care of me.
And while I’ve written plenty about eating healthy and nourishing our body. It occurred to me that I’ve not mentioned Me Time to feed the soul.
Life gets crazy for all of us. I bet there isn’t a person out there who has never felt the stress that comes from always “doing for others” . Work, kids, family, expectations, demands…so many things we all have to do for others.
Of course, I’m not talking about the neighborly things we do to help others. Those selfless acts of kindness. No, I’m talking about taking care of others to the detriment of our own needs.
When do we find the time to take care of ourselves? It is just as important to feed your soul as it is to properly nourish your body.
Me Time – Feeding Your Soul
I find it to be very true, that if you don’t take care of yourself you cannot be of any help to others. Think about it. If you are tired and worn out, do you really feel like making a healthy meal for your family? Even though you know you should. Do you really want to? Maybe what you need is to take a Me-Time break.
Do things that feed you mentally, spiritually and emotionally.
- Find a few moments to quiet time. Doesn’t have to be a long time, maybe 5-10 minutes. Just a few minutes of no noise to quiet your mind.
- Go for a walk. This is one of my personal favorites! I enjoy listening to the sounds around me, being away from the many To-Do’s in the house. (And being outside is a great way to get some Vitamin D!)
- When you’re getting stressed at work, take a break and get away from the desk if you can. Go outside and breath in some fresh air.
- Read a book. Sit down and take in a few pages. Let your mind wander away from life for the moment.
- Find your happy place in the house. For me it is the kitchen. But you already knew that 🙂 For my husband, it is his shop where he can work on his projects.
- Designate a day or time to do something special for yourself. Get a massage or a manicure. Go to a movie and get lost in the action. Or just go for a drive.
There are many, many other ways you can nourish your soul. I didn’t even mention going off-line and disconnecting from social media for an hour or so! Whatever your Me Time is, make sure it is all about you 🙂 Remember, YOU are important too!
…and sometimes, it really is all about me 😉
Feeding Your Mind and Body
What do you do to feed your soul? I’d love to hear! And do you have any recipes you’d like to share or are looking for to nourish your body? Feel free to reach out to me through the contact form on the right or on my Contact page. I’d be happy to speak with you.
And don’t forget, if you aren’t sure of what you are doing in the kitchen but want to eat healthy, you can sign up for my FREE Cooking Basics how-to-tips! You’ll get an email every week for an entire year. That’s 52 helpful kitchen tips! Everything from how to make the perfect fried egg to different ways to prepare vegetables and how to freeze those fruits & veggies you find at the market 🙂
Enjoy and Be Healthy!